Earlier this week I stopped by Macy’s @ Herald Square during lunch. Unfortunately for my wallet, but fortunately for their stock price, I work a few short blocks away. If you haven’t been to this Macy’s in a while, you are missing quite the transformation, especially of their shoe department which is now an entire floor!!!! I was on the hunt for a leopard print flat, which is one of the must-have items for this fall. However, midway through my search I aborted that mission when I stumbled upon the beauties you see below. I love all animal prints but it’s hard to find it done tastefully. And it’s even harder to find ones that can be worn to the office. But these Sam Edelman snake print pumps are perfect. The coloring is neutral enough that I can wear these heels with many outfits for work. As soon as I got to the office I took a picture so I could share them with all of you. They go perfectly with what I wore that day – blouse and skirt from H&M. By the way, that skirt was one of my special finds of the summer. It’s such a fabulous skirt that I think it deserves its own post.
Unsure what to pair these shoes with, let me make some suggestions:
- your go to LBD that’s work appropriate, of course.
- any colored suit – tan, navy, gray, brown. Would look extra adorable with a pant suit, showing off just a hint of the snake pattern.
- any color would look great with these shoes so your options are endless.
If you are nervous about incorporating animal print into your work wardrobe, I strongly encourage you to try snake print. It’s a nice, neutral print. Other animal prints, like leopard as an example, can be a little intimidating. What do you think of these shoes? Good choice?
Sam Edelman Snake Print Pumps
I couldn’t wait to put the shoes on!!
Last month I attended a networking event in NYC that was targeted towards mid-career corporate professionals. As I was observing the women at the event, I noticed how many of them had similar work attire: dark color suit, neutral colored shirt and some variation of a shoe. What I didn’t see was everyone’s individual personality come across in their work-look. What they were wearing didn’t tell me anything in particular about them.
As woman we are lucky to have access to so many different clothing options (which can also be pretty overwhelming) that we aren’t forced to fit into a corporate work-wear stereotype. Very different from our male counterparts who wear a suit, shirt and tie day in and day out. Me, as an example, I have an outgoing and expressive personality, and my clothes tend to reflect that– bright colors, patterns and bold jewelry. I take risks with my clothes while still being professional and aligning it to my personal brand. Think back to your outfits this week, did they say something about you?
Let me share a few tips with you on different things you can introduce into your work look that let’s you stand out, but still be professional:
- Color – Add a pop of color for a vibrant work look. You can accomplish this with a shirt, scarf, jewelry – the options are endless.
- Patterns – Whether bold or subtle, patterns introduce a new element into your outfit.
- Separate your suit pieces to create new looks – my favorite thing to do is wear a colorful or printed bottom (skirt or pants) and add a solid colored blazer. But mix-and-match creations can be endless so play around in your closet.
- Shoes – Shoes come in so many different colors, materials and styles that you can change the entire look of your outfit with the swap of a shoe. It’s pretty incredible!
- Statement jewelry – Similar to shoes, your jewelry can really change the look of an outfit. Statement necklaces are in right now and a great way to make your outfit pop. Also consider wearing heirloom pieces or something you picked up at your last trip.
- Handbags – I love handbags! Try something colorful, in a fun shape and in a material or texture you wouldn’t have previously considered.
To help you visualize this, I’ve created a couple of looks and added them to my pinterest board (YAY! I’m on Pinterest!!!!) Hopefully these inspire you the next time you are pulling your work look together. I would love to see what you create – send me pictures!
Follow Alexandra Brunetti’s board Professional Work Looks That Let Your Personality Shine on Pinterest.