Let me start by saying that I am not one of those people that buys things because it’s celebrity endorsed. These last few posts have been purely coincidental.
This past weekend, while my friend and I were driving down back to NYC from a girls’ weekend in Cape May, NJ (Yes, I have a life aside from my day job at tech giant EMC and night jobs of blogging & mother/wife/house manager AKA CEO of the Brunetti Family ) we stopped at a mall in Freehold, New Jersey. As we were perusing the mall, my friend spotted a 50% off all items sign at New York & Company so we had to go in. Can’t pass up a good sale! I discovered that Eva Mendes had collaborated with the store to create a line of clothes. The clothes are really colorful and quite stylish – several pieces that would be perfect for the office. A couple of things caught my eye but I eventually left the store with just one (no reflection on the clothes – this was the last store we hit and I was exhausted so I didn’t want to try much on.) Below is the Isabella Polka Dot Bow Blouse that I picked up. It’s a great blouse that can be paired with so many things – think an endless array of solid colored bottoms and even large prints, possibly plaid. I am wearing it with a red skirt and black pumps. I went light on the accessories because that bow is pretty massive but I did add statement earrings that really stand out, although I forgot to take a picture of them. Check out your nearest New York & Company to find the collection or shop online.
I should mention that the shirt was not on sale, but almost everything else in the store was. Shirt retails for $49.95, which is still a good price for such a versatile piece.
Shirt: New York & Company, Skirt: Escada, Shoes: Saks Fifth Avenue
Something amazing has happened. The Limited teamed up Scandal star Kerry Washington and costume designers Lyn Paolo & Elliot Staples to create a collection inspired by Olivia Pope. If you watch Scandal, and who doesn’t, this is a dream come true. No one embodies confidence, style and success like Olivia Pope. You can shop the entire collection on The Limited website, but I’ve pulled some of my favorite pieces from the collection. Only problem, we don’t have a Limited in NYC – ugh! Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend!
Labor day is behind us which means fall is right around the corner (technically 16 days away). Although I am trying to get my last couple of wears of my summer wardrobe, which is definitely going my way in NYC with the recent “heatwave”, I’m already thinking about all the things I need to get ready for the upcoming season. So I’ve put together my list of must haves and am sharing them with you. What do you think?
- Leopard flats – I love leopard print anything but when you’re talking about incorporating it into your work look, you do want to be subtle. Shoes are a great way to rock this animal print. And bonus – they are flats! I love heels (more than I love leopard) but sometimes you want to give your feet a break.
- Swarovski ballpoint pen – Sure, you can get a fancy Mont Blanc, but if you lose it, like I did, you are out $200 – minimum. This pen is functional, absolutely beautiful and most importantly, the price is right. And if you lose this one, you are only out $35.
- Button down white shirt – You can never have too many button down white shirts. What I love about this particular one is that it is not your standard oxford shirt. The bow is so feminine.
- Productivity tools – I love a good app, but I especially love apps that increase my productivity, help me be more organized and ultimately give me a competitive edge at work. Evernote is all the talk right now and I encourage you to check it out.
- iPhone 6 – I’m not a tech geek but everything I read about the iPhone 6 has me excited for the big unveil on September 9th. We work in a world where we don’t sit at our desks all day. We work from anywhere and all the time. The (rumored) bigger screen on the iPhone 6 but all the upgrades (speed, technology, camera, battery, etc) definitely makes this an awesome mobile device for our on-the-go integrated work-lives.
- Berry colored lipstick – I have nothing to say other than I really like this color! The jewel tone of this particular one by Milani (drugstore brand) will work well from fall into winter (did I just write winter? gross!) And the color lasts all day.
- Statement bracelets – Bracelets are the new ‘it’ accessory. Move over statement necklaces – I still love you but I am going to start incorporating bold bracelets into my look. I especially love this one from Banana Republic. It will look great with my work outfits but also works well with my weekend looks.
- Vision board – As we get closer to the end of the year, its important to give thought to what you want to accomplish in the upcoming year. I think vision boards are a great way to visualize your career aspirations and helps keep you focused. I especially like the vision board tool on Oprah.com. Great way to create a board without paper cuts and sticky hands.
Click on my Polyvore board to get links to all my must haves!
Recently my friend and former intern, Samantha, called me with a dilemma. She had recently graduated from Fordham University, landed an awesome new job in sales but had no clue what to wear. It can be a daunting task to think about building an entirely new wardrobe and or just making sure you have the right pieces you can build upon. I can relate; I was there once myself. Sam asked for my help and we spent an afternoon shopping and discussing how to create her career wardrobe. Whether you are starting from scratch or just want to make sure you have the basics, here is my list of go-to-pieces that will never go out of style and will be the foundation of many amazing outfits:
- A black suit. A classic, tailored fit suit is a must have. I recommend getting one in a solid, light wool material and get three pieces – jacket, pants and the skirt. You will be able to change up your top and wear that suit in so many ways.
- A second suit – navy or khaki colored, that’s a personal choice. Again, the name of the game is mix and match. Get the three pieces for countless outfit options.
- A white shirt. Notice I didn’t say button down. That’s because you aren’t limited to a button down shirt anymore. I definitely think you should have one, but also get a blousy top too. Button downs can be masculine and sometimes you want to femme-it-up!
- LBD. Yes a little black dress that’s day appropriate. Make sure the length and cut on top is appropriate for the office. You don’t want to look like you are going to cocktail party…or something worse.
- Basic cardigan – color choice is up to you, although it’s always good to have a few in some neutral colors. Great to layer over a dress or shirt.
- Black pumps – a basic black heel is a must to complete your outfit. There are so many heel options today; you aren’t limited to a 5 inch stiletto. Kitten heels are back in style or you can even go with a flat.
Now that you have your list of must haves, hit your closet and see how many you can check off the list. And if you need to purchase any, make sure you pay close attention to fit and material. Clothes should fit you well and the material should be of good quality. And quality does not equal expensive.
Are there any other basic pieces you would add to the list?